In all these years, this is the first time I baked a birthday cake for S. I had planned the gifts months ahead. The first gift was a one plus one phone which I gave him a couple of months ago. I also gave him 4 toys – of LFC players – Gerrard, Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge.
I toyed with many ideas for the cake but zeroed in on this not just because S loves Tiramisu but also because I wanted to attempt something new. I pored over a number of recipes and decided not use the ladies’ finger but a vanilla sponge cake. I also decided to make my own mascarpone. I wanted to make my own kahlua but for want of time, I used coffee laced with rum.
I baked 2 6″ cakes and 6 cup cakes with the recipe given below.
Adapted from woodlandbakery
- Eggs – 4
- Sugar – 400 gm
- All purpose flour – 260 gm
- Unsalted Butter – 100 gm
- Milk – 200 ml
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Whisk the eggs using an electric beater until it foams
- Gradually add the sugar and whisk until the eggs reach a ribbon consistency. (Should take about 4-5 minutes here)
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder and whisk until combined.
- Melt the butter and milk in a pan.
- Remove a cup or two of the batter and whisk in the hot butter and milk.
- Pour this back into the remaining batter and mix through.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into the pans (it’s preferred to grease and line the pans)
- Bake at 175 deg for about 25-30 mins, until done.
- Let cool, wrap and freeze the cake until use.
- Fresh cream – 500 ml (I used milky mist)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Gently heat the fresh cream to about 85 deg C
- Add the lemon juice, simmer and cook for about 5 mins.
- Strain using cheese cloth / muslin.
- Store this in the refrigerator for about 8 hours until it drains completely.
- What remains on the cheese cloth is your mascarpone.
- Scrape into a bowl and store for future usage. Stays well for up to a week
Assembling the Tiramisu
- Vanilla sponge – 2 6 in
- Mascarpone cheese – 1 recipe
- Whipped cream – 250 ml
- 3 tbsp Coffee mixed in hot water laced with 3 tbsp rum
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Chocolate shavings for decoration
- Gently blend the whipped cream and mascarpone cheese using a spatula and set aside
- Torte each cake into 2, so you have 4 layers
- Place one layer on the board.
- Drizzle the coffee + rum syrup and soak the layer well.
- Spread a thick layer of the cheese mixture.
- Place the next layer on top.
- Repeat 4-6 until all layers are coated with syrup and cheese
- Place the cake in the fridge until set for an hour or two.
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder and decorate with chocolate shavings
- Serve chilled